Diversity, Equity, Inclusion Workshop – 2
Best Practices for Inclusiveness: Understanding Student Identities and Intersectionality – at Home and Abroad
In this half-day workshop, we will work to better understand the multiple identities of our students and how their intersectionality informs how they are accepted or not in the U.S. and abroad.
The workshop will help participants develop an awareness of the difficulties students with marginalized identities face when they are abroad. And we will reflect on how program design can be made more inclusive to give all students a sense of belonging.
During this interactive workshop we discuss best practices in the following areas:
- Inclusive study abroad promotional materials
- Identity-specific information for marginalized students or identities
- Inclusive pre-departure activities
- Inclusive orientations
- Inclusive onsite co/extracurricular activities.
- Inclusive teaching
- Using volunteer alums to share their experiences abroad as marginalized students