Study Abroad 2018
Leading Innovation: Educating Global Citizens In The Digital Age
Across the country and around the world, exciting new educational models are emerging in an effort to prepare students for learning and working in the digital age. Flipped classrooms, artificial intelligence, online learning, competency-based education, adaptive learning, collaborative education, phenomenon-based learning, and design thinking are a few of the innovative approaches being used in higher education.
How can we broaden and accelerate this trend, especially in international education? What new education models successfully empower students to become innovators – skilled at not just adapting to change, but leading it? True, technology continues to make the world more interconnected and intercultural relationships more accessible – but that alone doesn’t prepare students to thrive in a constantly-changing world. Today’s students must be skillful at collaborating within diverse teams, understanding and appreciating global challenges, and looking at issues from multiple angles; all qualities which study abroad supports in meaningful ways – and which may rival the importance of obtaining proficiency in one discipline.
Questions before us include:
- How can we take experiential learning abroad to the next level – to not only inform students but to form them?
- How can we empower our students to be leaders of innovation so they can solve complex world problems?
- How can we ensure new student-centered models emphasize global competencies like creativity, collaboration, and adaptability?
- How does new educational technology encourage students to focus on global challenges?
- How can we train students to break the single-discipline approach when addressing complex problems and instead use intercultural, interdisciplinary collaboration?
As a community of international educators, let us innovate and create the experiential learning models that empower students to change the world.
Join us in Barcelona from November 7-10, 2018, for engaging and forward-thinking discussions.
Thanks for joining us in Austin!
2018 Call for Proposals is open!